See it here at my journal
All the best for all of you and happy creating!
|You're viewing art|
Create a Dreamwidth Account Learn More
Here is a sequence of my work on the subject today:
Yes, I'm painting it upside down :) so the paint runs the way I want it to, and not down into the space for the buildings.
First I tipped the edges where the buildings are reflecting the rising sun.
After the yellow dried, I painted in the building area. Underneath I had a beautiful layer of tourquoise, but forgot to capture it. You can still see it in part, mainly the rider's head and shoulders. It adds to the glazing over the buildings quite a bit.
The final version, which I'm quite happy with.
My utmost thanks to Ms. Lin for providing such a stunning inspiration to play with.
- paper: Arches 140lb cold press 12x9 - paint: - DS Quin Burnt Orange - W&N French Ultramarine - DS Sap Green - DS Aureolin - DS Permanent Rose
Today, we studied the style of Don Andrews (http://www.donandrews.net/) since our teacher was taking a workshop from him. His style is exceptionally wonderful. He has a "found colour" technique that works really well, although I didn't find any new colours here at all. :) It's W&N French Ultramarine, DS Phthalo Green, as well as a mixture on the palette of Phthalo Green and Phthalo Blue to get a neat Turquoise, which I didn't know how to make.
Art » WC Brooklyn Bridge
Ink and Wash painting of the Brooklyn Bridge
I had asked our teacher to go over some ink and wash techniques with us. Instead she showed us outlining as a means to "rescue" a painting we weren't happy with. I read about this technique in an issue of Watercolour magazine last year, but it wasn't really what I wanted to work on, so I struck off on my own.
The source image came from an old calendar. It has lots of spectral qualities, which is probably the main attraction of the image as a photograph. I was struck more by the structural elements of the bridge, the skyline against the horizon, and the diagonal parking area.
I was initially pretty pleased with how the inking turned out. I used a Sharpie writing pen, rather than my usual Sharpie markers. The ink was drying out with the near constant use on the very absorbant watercolour paper, so it's not nearly as I'd have liked it. Still I do like the way things look at this point.
I'm hoping I can manipulate the bridge deck to return some perspective to it and make it actually look like it's moving into the picture.